How to Apply for a Short Term Substitute License
A Short Term Substitute License (STS) may be issued to anyone who holds an Associate’s Degree, or who has completed 60 semester hours of coursework from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- Valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools, pre-kindergarten through grade 12.
- Short Term Substitute Licenses are valid through June 30, 2023. They cannot be renewed.
- Cannot teach for more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher.
- Must complete a training program provided by the school board.
- Cannot serve as a Paraprofessional
- Begin by Logging in to your ELIS account by going to https://www.isbe.net. Click on 'System Quick Links' and then in the drop down box, select ELIS: Educator Licensure Information System. Enter your account information and click return. If you do not yet have an ELIS account, please see how to create one here.
- Once you have finished logging into your ELIS account, you will see the application options listed under 'What do you want to do?'. This section is on the right hand side under the Action Center box.
- Select, Apply for a Short Term Substitute License (STS), by clicking on Apply Now!.
- Once you are ready to start the Application Wizard, click the Next button. All applicants must complete the Criminal History Disclosure Statement. Once you have answered all of the required questions, click the Next button.
- You will need to indicate the highest degree you hold. Then click on the Next Button.
- The application process will then require you to enter the institution's information. You will need to contact your institution to request they submit your transcripts, or you may obtain a printed and sealed copy of your transcripts. Submit these transcripts to Jenn Diercks at the Champaign-Ford Regional Office of Education #9. She will upload the transcripts into your ELIS account. If the last name on your transcripts is different from the name on your ELIS account, make sure to contact the office with this information. It will make it easier to match up the transcripts with your ELIS account. Once you have entered all of your institution's information, click on the Next button.
- The Application Wizard will not display your information so that you can verify its accuracy. If any edits need to be made, please select the blue link at the top of the page and follow the directions on the form. If no updates are needed, please click the Finish button.
- You will be transferred to the state contracted vendor for processing credit card transactions. Enter your billing information. Your payment will be processed and charged to your account. The * designated required fields. Complete the required fields. Click Continue. You must now complete all of the credit card information. Click Continue.
- Verify the information provided is correct and check the box that you authorize this charge to your account. Then click Submit.
- If you payment was accepted, you will be returned to your ELIS account. Please print this page and select Finish.
- You will be returned to your ELIS homepage. You will be able to see the date that your short term substitute application was completed, and that the status will reflect Pending Review.
- Once your application and all submitted credentials have been evaluated, your will receive an e-mail notification. You should then check your ELIS account to see if your Substitute Teaching License was issued or if you must resolve questions or problems when submitting credentials.
More information is available on our Substitute Teaching Information webpage.